Friday, March 22, 2013

Facts about Carbon


Chemistry has always fascinated me and I always found the carbon atom to be very interesting. Carbon is all around us and it makes us most of the matter in the world. However there is much more to carbon and its atom structure than meets the eye. The carbon atom is very inimitable, compared to other atoms. Carbon has a very strong bong where even a single covalent bond between two carbon atoms is very strong which is dissimilar from other atoms. For example, a single covalent bond between two oxygen atoms such as hydrogen peroxide (HO-OH) is so weak that at room temperature it will decompose. In addition, carbon is unique because carbon compounds aren’t extremely reactive under ordinary conditions compared to other compounds. For example, Butane (C4H10) is very stable in air; however tetrasilane (Si4H10) catches fire in air very quickly which can be very hazardous to those around it . Carbon atoms can also form many compounds because it can form up to four single covalent bonds. Carbon is unique because it can form different allotropes such as a diamond, graphite, and buckminsterfullerene. I may study more chemistry in college if I have a chance for a free elective but it interests me and I would like to learn more about atoms. 




1 comment:

  1. If you find the carbon atom so intriguing organic chemistry might be something to consider studying. I can't say I share your passion for the carbon atom but I always found it pretty crazy that what we see at the tip of our pencil and a diamond have essentially the same chemical make up.

    ReplyDelete